The Virtual Console Forum Toejam and Earl

Go Back   The Virtual Console Forums > Nintendo > Nintendo News

Nintendo News The very latest, greatest and related Nintendo gaming news

Old 25th August 2008   #1
VC Forums Bot

Post Virtual Console adds classic role-playing, tardy fighter

Filed under: , , , , ,

How nice you to join us. Do you have any idea what time it is? We were expecting you weeks ago! Well, no matter, go and take your seat with the rest of the Virtual Console class so we can begin.

• Samurai Shodown 2 (Neo Geo, 1-2 players, 900 Wii Points): SNK's 1994 follow up to Samurai Shodown finally slices and dices its way onto the Virtual Console this week, bringing back most of the original's weapon-wielding cast, as well as several newcomers vying for the opportunity to skewer anything that moves with a pointy blade and sharp Engrish wit.

• Ys Book I & II (TurboGrafx 16 CD-ROM, 1 player, 800 Wii Points): Nihon Falcom's enhanced remakes of the first two titles in the Ys saga finally levels up for the US Virtual Console. Offering roguelike-style combat and music we still find ourselves humming at the dinner table, this is a download not to be missed by role-playing fans with eyes for the classics.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

SPONSORED BY: Age of Empires III - Real-Time Strategy Game Control a European power on a quest to colonize and conquer the New World. AOE3 introduces new gameplay elements, as well as new civilizations, units, and technologies. http://www.ageofempires3.com/

Source: Joystiq

Remember to invite your friends to the Virtual Console forums!
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008   #2
Mega mole

Hmm. I think I'll get this if/when it gets to Europe. The music is one of the best things about this game.
Trapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008   #3
hay guise

I think I'll pick this up. It'll give me something to do while farming for tails in FF4.
pdRydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008   #4
Morton Koopa Jr

Wow, I didn't know it had randomly generated levels! It's like it's trying to make me hate it. Gahh, I pass. It does seem to be improved over the NES version though. Still not fond of the battle system though.

Last edited by Mickeymac; 25th August 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Mickeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008   #5
hay guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
Wow, I didn't know it had randomly generated levels!
It does? Awesome!
Old 25th August 2008   #6
Monty Mole

I downloaded Ys today and been playin it ever sense a really good game. I also need to go to the store and get some points so i can get SS2. I wanted to get the first one but ill rather wait to get the better one
Old 25th August 2008   #7
YGRT

People should not be put off by the appearance of combat in the videos for Ys. It is actually a very nice little system and it plays well. It was one of my worries, too, when I first saw it but it's not bad.
Old 26th August 2008   #8
hay guise

Honestly, I think the combat looks kinda fun. I mean, seriously, I run my characters into walls for ****s and giggles--running them into enemies for massive damage is just that much better.
Old 26th August 2008   #9
YGRT

I just know a lot of people on the review pages have expressed hesitation because of that dynamic.
Old 26th August 2008   #10
Big Boo

Send a message via Skype™ to Joxe

Have never played this one but it seems like it's like the Diablo games in some ways, which should add two good things together to one game (Diablo + jRPG = awesomeness).

Will probably get it if it makes it way to Europe.

Post #2000 expected at the 24th of October 2010
Joxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008   #11
Morton Koopa Jr

Oh wait, it doesn't have random dungeons, it just has a super-simple battle system :P. Not much better. in my opinion.
Mickeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008   #12
YGRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
Oh wait, it doesn't have random dungeons, it just has a super-simple battle system :P. Not much better. in my opinion.
See above re: battle system. It's awesome.
Old 28th August 2008   #13
Monty Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogurt the Yogurt View Post
People should not be put off by the appearance of combat in the videos for Ys. It is actually a very nice little system and it plays well. It was one of my worries, too, when I first saw it but it's not bad.
Yea I agree with you that was mainly what i was worring about when purchasing the game. But after putting in a few hours i actually like the fighting system quite a bit. Easy to level up quickly tell u get in the later levels. And if ur way stronger then a enemy u can just kill the in 2 shots making running around exploring a dungeron really fun. But one of the best things about the game is the sound track is amazing. One thing the the dungeons may be easy but when u get to the later ones there very demanding i spent 2 hours yesterday running around Solomons Shrine
But all in all i think everyone one should be this games is so amazing